Master of Healthcare Leadership Admissions
Review the program specific admissions information on this page in addition to the general admissions information and policies on the Admissions page prior to applying for admission to the Master of Healthcare Leadership program at CGI.
Degree-Seeking Admissions Requirements
Professional Licensure and Admissions
Degree-Seeking Admissions Process
MHL to DBH Pathway
Exceptions for Degree-Seeking Admissions Policies
Degree-Seeking Admissions Requirements – Master of Healthcare Leadership Program
To be considered for admission, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher from an accredited college or university with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 (B average) or better and majoring in or at least 12 credit hours completed in science, allied health, pre-medicine, public health, public administration, business administration, health economics, health information systems, biotechnology, biostatistics, psychology, social work, sociology, nonprofit leadership and management, or a related field.
- Technology equipment and basic computer skills to be successful in the online Master of Healthcare Program. To view Technology Requirements, visit: cgi.edu/technology.
No competency examinations are required for admission.
Professional Licensure and Admissions
Students are advised to contact state licensing boards to determine whether the Academic Degree Program meets the educational requirements for licensure in the state where the student resides. Students understand that they are responsible for researching their state laws and workplace/site policies. Professional licensure is not a CGI admissions requirement. The legislation is evolving quickly. Billing for reimbursement as a clinician typically requires a professional license as a behavioral health professional license and those eligible for licensure should clarify their scope of practice with the appropriate state health professional licensure office in their state. Making an informed decision means knowing the landscape of healthcare in a student’s local area.
Degree-Seeking Admissions Process – Master of Healthcare Leadership Program
Completed online admissions application form, including the following documentation:
- Copy of a government-issued ID
- Resume or CV
- Writing Sample
- Statement of Intent
- Unofficial transcripts reflecting highest degree earned
- Official transcripts reflecting highest degree earned
- Contact information for four (4) professional references to provide a recommendation in support of your application (three (3) total recommendations needed)*
- Application Fee ($50)**
* Professional references will be contacted at the email address provided to request completion of a recommendation form.
** Waived for students eligible for Military Tuition. Documentation of military status is required during the application process.
Completed applications are reviewed to determine the applicant’s eligibility for admission. Upon completion of the application review, an admissions decision is rendered by the admissions team, and the applicant will be accepted or declined admission into the MHL program. Notification of the admissions decision is sent to the applicant via email.
Within ten (10) calendar days of a student’s accepted admission to the Master of Healthcare Leadership Program or non-degree program, the admitted applicant receives an enrollment packet via DocuSign that includes a Program Enrollment Agreement, Catalog, and Program Fee Payment information. Once the student signs the Program Enrollment Agreement they are required to submit payment for their one-time Program Fee of $150. Once that is all completed the student will meet with their Advisor and then be enrolled in CGI’s New Student Orientation (NSO). The first-term tuition will be billed to the student’s account after the student finishes New Student Orientation and is registered in their courses. Every time after the initial term, students will be billed for tuition following the close of course registration.
MHL to DBH Pathway
Students enrolled in the Master of Healthcare Leadership (MHL) program at Cummings Graduate Institute for Behavioral Health Studies (CGI) are eligible to advance through the admissions process and enroll in the Doctor of Behavioral Health (DBH) program. To learn more about the DBH to MHL Pathway, visit: https://cgi.edu/mhl-dbh-pathway/.
Exceptions for Degree-Seeking Admissions Policies – Master of Healthcare Leadership Program
A completed application demonstrating that the candidate meets all admission requirements may advance to interview eligibility with the following exceptions:
- An applicant who completed a bachelor’s degree and do not completed at least 12 credit hours in science, allied health, pre-medicine, public health, public administration, business administration, health economics, health information systems, biotechnology, biostatistics, psychology, social work, sociology, nonprofit leadership and management, or a related field.
- Candidates who have completed the application, paid the application fee, and submitted required documentation minus the Official Transcript for admission may be eligible for an interview.
- Candidates who have completed the application, paid the application fee, and submitted required documentation minus a third professional recommendation, may proceed to an interview if the first and second recommendations have a rating of average, above average, or outstanding in all evaluation areas and a final recommendation of “enthusiastically recommend this applicant.
An application may advance to admission with the following exceptions:
- Provisional admission may be granted to an applicant who submits and is admitted with a completed application, application fee, and required documentation minus the Official Transcript for admission. A student provisionally admitted under this circumstance must submit the Official Transcript by the end of their first enrolled term in order to enroll in courses for a second term. Failure to submit an Official Transcript under this circumstance revokes the the admissions acceptance, and the student may not proceed with coursework.
- Provisional admission may be granted to an applicant per the discretion of the Director if the applicant demonstrates the potential to succeed in the interview and interview eligibility review.
Transfer Credit Max
The maximum amount of transfer credits awarded for the MHL program is fifteen (15) credits. Transfer credits are not accepted for non-degree programs.
For information on transfer credit policies, process, and conditions, visit: https://cgi.edu/admissions/.
Concurrent Program Enrollment
Concurrent programs are defined as two or more academic programs that may be pursued at the Cummings Graduate Institute for Behavioral Health Studies (CGI) by a student resulting in completion of the requirements for two or more degree-seeking and or non-degree seeking programs. Enrollment in concurrent programs is regulated by CGI. Overlap of credits allowed (i.e., where credit hours can count towards more than one program) is governed by the Concurrent Program Enrollment Policy.
Visit the Concurrent Program Enrollment Policy to verify the requirements and steps for pursuing concurrent program enrollment at CGI as a prospective student, currently enrolled student, alumni, or withdrawn student. Concurrent enrollment questions can be directed to the Admissions office at email@example.com.
Start your MHL program application.
Complete the form below to begin your application to the Master of Healthcare Leadership program. Applicants for the MHL to DBH pathway should use this application as well.